100 miles of gloriously chunky gravel!
Expect this to be one of the most challenging gravel courses featuring picturesque, rarely maintained, canopy-covered gravel roads with loose, rocky gravel, a few pavement sections and a few water crossings and bridges. If you like to ride in the dirt, venture off into stunning landscapes and share an experience with fellow cyclists, Big Sugar Gravel is a race reserved for you.
- The Big Sugar course is 104 miles with around 7,000′ of elevation gain.
- NOTE: this course includes private property at mile 72.4, DO NOT TRESPASS, roads will remain closed until race day. If you do wish to check out the roads that you will see during the race, follow this link that goes around the private property, and bypasses the 8 miles of highway-side riding at the beginning.
Dust off your gravel bike and get ready for a weekend in the Bluffs! This guide will give you all the information you need to be successful in tackling the first ever Big Sugar weekend.
Download or print out the PDF and prepare yourself for an epic weekend of bikes, brews, and the sweetest gravel you’ve ever tasted.
2023 Athlete Guide subject to change
Awards will be 3 deep in the following categories:
Big Sugar award categories:
There are two official checkpoint locations for Big Sugar.
1) Pineville, MO (mile 37)
- Cutoff 12:00PM
- Parking Map
2) Whistling Springs Brewery (mile 73)
- Cutoff 4:00PM
- Parking Map
The following amenities will be available at the neutral aid stations at each checkpoint:
-Water, Untapped maple syrup, waffles, and mapleade drink mix & pickles, bananas, potato chips, cookies (snacky stuff)
Support Crews can help their riders out at the Pineville AND Whistling Springs Checkpoints!
Support Crews/Abandon Procedure
SUPPORT CREWS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON COURSE
1) If you wish to be picked up by your support crew, please make your way to an accessible locaton – without driving on the gravel roads of the course.
– The SAG Jeeps can help you to get to an accessible location if you are unable and will take you to the nearest checkpoint location if you do not have another pick up option
2) Shuttles are available at the checkpoints to carry riders and bikes back to Bentonville
– They will take you either to the finish festival or to the Wal-Mart HQ parking lot as desired
3) If you need to call for help, use the BIG SUGAR HOTLINE: 719-257-3938
– Again, cell service is spotty. The Jeeps all have HAM radio which has better transmission, if you need to communicate with support crews or race organization
Post-Race Food & Beer
- On each rider’s number plate, there will be three serrated tabs attached at the bottom
- One is redeemable for a free drink at Whistling Springs Brewery
- One can be turned in for a beer from Bike Rack Brewing at the finish festival
- One can be used at one of the food trucks at the finish festival and is worth UP TO $10
- If you’re buying something less than $10, no change will be given
- If you want something more expensive, you will have to pay the remainder
- The food trucks at the finish are also open to business for any support crews or spectators